The hospital in Lucina with 14 beds was opened in 1838. It employed one rural doctor who served the city and the entire county, a paramedic and an midwife. According to 1886, the number of patients in the hospital was 216 per year.
In 1886, Dr. Anisim Rekashev (1859-1955), a graduate of Moscow University, began working in the hospital. In the mornings, Dr. Rekashev admitted the patients to a home outpatient clinic, but went to the hospital in the afternoon. Anisim Rekashev treated literally all diseases, operated on, participated in childbirth, removed teeth. Anisim Rekashev was an outstanding diagnostician. The market days were especially intense for the doctor - Friday and Sunday. These days, many farmers from the farthest corners entered Ludza. Patient admission lasted until late. In 1923, the government of independent Latvia awarded Anisimas Rekašovs with the Order of the Three Stars for his merits.
From 1905, the county hospital was run by Mihails Bedržickis (1874-1962). Born on October 14, 1874 in Vilani, in a noble family. In 1899 he graduated from Moscow University. Initially, he was sent to the Neville district as a rural doctor, but in September 1905 he came to Lucina. Bedržickis was the head of the local county hospital until 1934, after which he moved to an outpatient job in the county. During the First World War, Dr. Bedržickis ran one of the first war hospitals in the city. For many years, Bedržickis was the only and irreplaceable eye disease specialist on our side, worked in the maternity ward, and treated women's diseases. From 1934 to 1936 he worked as a doctor at Ludza District Hospital, a doctor at a rural district in Eversmuiza (1936-1937), Pilda (1937-1941), Zvirgzdene (1941-1944), Ludza outpatient doctor (1944-1958).
In 1914, during the First World War, the hospital already had three doctors.
For many years, the hospital in Lucina was located in two single-storey buildings. The buildings were located across the street. The county leadership repeatedly discussed the construction of a new county hospital, but World War I took the issue far away. In 1914, 3 military hospitals were opened in the city.
At the end of November 1918, after the departure of German troops, the situation in the county was serious: devastation, famine, infections. Typhoid fever and scabies were common. A sanitary unit was set up to stop the epidemic from spreading.
In the period between the two world wars, a county hospital with 84 beds was built in Ludza. The hospital had a therapeutic, surgical and women's department.
At the same time, Dr. Samuils Gurevičs (1882-1941) also worked in the city. His private clinic with 20 beds specialized in lung and children's diseases, as well as fought against one of the most terrible diseases of those years - tuberculosis. Born in 1882 to the family of Solomon Gurevich, a famous lawyer from the former Ludza district, he received his higher medical education at the University of Tartu and did an internship in Austria. Free-practicing doctor in Ludza from 1918-1920, city doctor from 1920-1929. In 1929, he established a private hospital.
In 1937, there were 19 doctors and 37 employees with secondary medical education in the county.
In 1944, when the German army retreated, the district hospital building was destroyed. A new hospital was built on the remaining foundations in 1962, which also houses the Ludza District Hospital.
In 1989, construction work began on the hospital's new building.
In 1991, the construction of the new hospital building was frozen.
In 1995, the new building was roofed and construction work stopped.
A contract for the construction of the new hospital building was signed on 20 November 2006 and construction work began on 1 December 2006.
On August 6, 2008, the deed of handover-acceptance of the new hospital building was signed.
On March 13, 2014, the name of SIA "Ludzas rajona slimnīca" was changed to SIA "Ludzas medicīnas centrs".